If you are considering working with a surrogacy agency to help intended parents add to their family, you will have a big choice ahead of you. There are many surrogacy agencies across the country to choose from, so how do you find the one that is right for you as a prospective surrogate?
An important part of this process is speaking directly with professionals from the surrogacy agency you are considering. The surrogacy agency you choose will dictate how the rest of your surrogacy journey proceeds, so you’ll need to be comfortable with your professional before committing to a journey of a year or more with them. Not every agency will work for every prospective surrogate, and you shouldn’t rush into choosing a professional until you are confident it is the right decision.
As you prepare to talk with prospective surrogacy agencies, read through our tips to make this conversation as productive as possible.
Tips for Talking with a Surrogacy Agency
You may not know where to start when interviewing a potential surrogacy agency, especially if this is your first time becoming a surrogate. It can be intimidating to talk to experts, but remember that this is an important step in your journey. These professionals work with many women like you, and they are happy to answer your questions and address any concerns you have before choosing this path.
There are typically three rules to follow when you speak with a surrogacy agency:
1. Get to Know Them Ahead of Time
If you are considering a surrogacy agency, odds are that you’ve perused their website and other materials to learn a little bit about them. This is likely the reason you’re considering them in the first place. However, if you haven’t yet, make sure you do extensive research before you have your in-depth conversation with professionals at the agency. That way, you can tailor your questions to their particular services and program, which will give you more helpful answers and a better idea of whether they are the right fit for you.
2. Request a Meeting In Person, If Possible
Your surrogacy agency will be the professional to support you through every step of your surrogacy journey, and it’s important that you’re comfortable with them. Being able to speak with their professionals in person is a good indicator of their future involvement in your case and will help you better evaluate whether they are the right ones for you. An in-person meeting may give you that gut feeling you are looking for when choosing a surrogacy agency.
3. Take Your Time
You are never obligated to choose a surrogacy agency before you are ready. Even if you have a great meeting with a surrogacy professional, don’t sign on to their program right away. Take some time to consider your feelings, talk with your spouse (if applicable) and do any last-minute evaluations. Make sure you are 100 percent confident before committing with an agency, as it is a choice that will affect the next year or more of your life.
Questions to Ask a Surrogacy Agency
When you’re ready to interview a prospective surrogacy agency, here are some of the important questions you should consider asking:
About the Agency
- What is the history of your agency?
- How many surrogates have you worked with, and how many successful surrogacies have you completed?
- What is a “successful” surrogacy with your agency?
- How are your staff members trained or certified?
- How large is your staff?
- How many other surrogates are you currently working with?
- What kind of support do you offer your surrogates outside of business hours?
About Their Services
- What kind of services do you offer surrogates?
- What about intended parents?
- What is your screening process for both parties?
- What are your requirements for surrogates who work with your agency?
- Is there room for exceptions within your surrogate requirements?
- Do you require my spouse to meet certain requirements, as well? (If applicable)
- What is your average surrogate compensation?
- How will you help me obtain surrogate compensation? Through an escrow account at your agency or through a third party?
- How long will I receive services after the surrogacy is complete?
About Finding Intended Parents
- How many intended parents do you have waiting for a surrogate?
- What is your matching process like?
- What if I have already identified intended parents to work with?
- How do you find intended parents that meet my preferences?
- Where are your intended parents from?
- Will you help me create a surrogate profile?
- What can I choose about my intended parents?
- How long will it typically take to find a match with your agency?
About Contact Mediation
- How will you help me prepare for the first conversation with the intended parents?
- Will this conversation take place in person or over the phone?
- Will you help mediate contact with my intended parents during my surrogacy?
- If so, how? How will you assist if intended parents overstep their boundaries?
- How do you resolve difficult situations between surrogates and intended parents?
About Other Professionals
- What other professionals will I need to complete my surrogacy?
- How will you ensure those services come free of cost to me?
- Will you help me find additional professionals, if I need them?
- Do I have to choose from pre-approved professionals with your agency?
About the Hospital Stay
- How will you help me create a hospital delivery plan?
- Which professionals will be present during my delivery?
- What are your policies on nontraditional births and doulas?
Other Important Questions
- What will I be responsible for during the surrogacy process?
- Why should I work with your surrogacy agency?
- Do you think I’m a good fit for your surrogacy program?
- How do I start the application process for your agency?
We know how complicated it can be to find the right surrogacy agency for you. If you are a prospective surrogate, our surrogacy specialists can always answer your questions about our agency for free when you call us at 1-800-875-BABY(2229). We will help you find the right surrogacy program for your goals and needs.